Tuesday 19 March 2013

Tutorial - Mobile Phone Charge Holder

There is nothing more satisfying when you discover new uses for our cast off throw away items and take recycling to the next level and I must say I love this idea....I won't lay claim to the idea of this as I found it floating in cyber space and very much appreciate those who wanted to share it... a big thank you to the originator.  So I thought I would create my own and continue to share.  I will always admit that I am a little bit of a techno-phobe when it comes to mobiles phones and after many years of not really wanting to use my phone because I always found it hard to navigate I am now in phone heaven and have my nifty little I-phone.  It is not a permanent attachment as some phones are to people and I still forget to charge it up and when it does eventually get charged it seems to be in various locations around the cottage.....so here is a great, useful bit of recycling....

your very own "phone recharging station".....and here's how it was made:-


 Take an old shampoo bottle and wash out any remaining shampoo and drain to dry.
 Remove the lid and labels on both sides.


 Get together some tools...a ruler, a felt tip marker pen, scissors a scrap of A4 paper and your phone with the charger.

It is hard to get the shape accurately drawn on the bottle as you can see...I have an easy answer how to be accurate... Rest the bottle base on the bottom edge of the scrap paper and make a pen mark either side roughly where you want the opening to be at the front.
 Using the ruler draw a line from the bottom on the paper to a few inches above the marked line (making sure the marked line is still visible.)  Cut along the lines you have just drawn then fold this piece in half. Whilst folded in half draw the curved shape you want for the front and cut.
 Open to paper to give you the uniform curve...
 Place the paper on the bottle and draw the curve with a water based marker pen.

 Repeat this process for the back of the bottle ensuring this is higher than the front with enough height for the Mobile Phone to go in and the lower 2 prongs of the plug.

 
 Roughly cut out the shapes drawn on the bottle and discard waste...this then allows enough space to neatly cut up to the drawn line without anything getting in the way. Wipe away the drawn line with a damp cloth.
 Place the phone in the holder with the charging socket of the phone facing up...plug in the charger to the phone and place the plug (lower 2 prongs against the plastic and from the back trace what you see with a marker pen.  Remove the contents then cut out the 2 slots marked with a craft knife. Push the lower 2 plug prongs through the holes and plug in..check it charges when the main socket switch is switched on..
 If all is ok...decorate as required. I have attached Gross Grain ribbons with extra bond tape (red backed tape...remember to cut the V when the tape backing is on and try to cut the tape to the width of the ribbon...this prevents fraying.  It is best to position the ribbon where you want it and cut the surplus off at the top) and attached some gathered lace again with the extra bond tape. I have punched a hole with my Crop-a-dile tool through the lace, ribbon and plastic and attached a large red glazed brad.  Finally I hand cut a heart from Grunge board, drew faux stitching in white and black pen and hung this from the brad with some twine.



My charging station will always now be plugged in and ready to receive my phone and switched on at the socket when needed and looks much better than wires just sitting on the work surface or floor.

Hope you like this bit of recycling...I think its great and really practical!  I will be doing more to use for different purposes, especially in the craft studio.

No comments:

Post a Comment